Which Reinforcements are these men?

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Which Reinforcements are these men?

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:31 am

Another of the great shots from Corporal Albert Anderson's collection.
It is possible that the Corporal in the middle is "Pat" Dunning of the NAMR Signals. However I am sure there are more pointers in the PDF full image to help solve the riddle.(large format at: http://www.nzmr.org/pdf/camp_reinforce.pdf)
This image needed a lot of work and I have tried something different this time - after repairing rips and obvious scrathes and other marks left by the aging process I stripped the photo back and reprocessed it in Duotone like the photographers did in the "olden" days - I hope you like the effect.
Steve_Butler

Re: Which Reinforcements are these men?

Postby pukman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Hello Steve,

there is three troopers wearing a a distinctive Basic frame type 17(Geoffrey Lowes,New Zealand Reinforcement badges,1914-1918) with a rearing horse superimposed.You may be able to make out a kiwi at the base of the badge Lowe abtributes this frame to being worn by reinforcements 15 to 18.In my opinion, this badge in the Mounted Rifle reinforcement variety, in this frame, is very rare.

cheers iain
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks Iain - I knew I could rely on you for direction.
I haven't had time this week to look into "Dunnings" record but this gives me a window and a time line to check.
I wish I had more time - we will get there in the end :roll:
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 am

Cheryl, who was kind enough to present the Dunning and Anderson photo collections to the Association to present on the site has emailed to say the Corporal in the center is not Pat Dunning - Therefore Iain, your direction towards the 15th - 18th Reinforcements is our only pointer at the moment.
Steve_Butler

Return to NZMR General Discussions