Queen Alexandra's MR Photo, pre Gallipoli

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Queen Alexandra's MR Photo, pre Gallipoli

Postby Tarata » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 pm

In the Bulls Museum is a photo of QAMR taken with the Guidon ('flag'). This photo includes Major Elmslie and Major Edgar (the Veterinarian). However only about a third of the strength are in the photo. Does anyone know, was this a representative photo, or were there several with changes of the troopers etc. David Paterson, and Sgt Pierce for example are not present.
All present are named, as follows (with initials): Major Elmslie, Major Edgar, Lts James, Risk, Sommerville, Sgt-Major Duham, Sgts Howie, Jago, Pye-smith, Cpls Addenbrooke, Burson, Fletcher, Little, Lynch, Patterson, L-Cpl King. Bugler Gilmour. Tprs Abercrombie, Addenbrooke, Alcock, Ansell, Badderley, Badderley, Bailey, Baldwin, Bason, Battes, Beal?, Blackbourne, Burnett, Campion, Capon, Corrie, Deane, Bitzmaurice, Gray, Hammond, James, Janson, ZLanglands, Lynch, Lynch, Major, Mason, McClean, McDonald, McWilliam, Moore, Morgan, Morgan, Rive, Robinson, Ross, Seaton, Simpson, SMith, Sommerville S, Thompson, Watt, Wilson.
The photo was taken in bright sun and the hats throw a shadow on the top of the face. Very few of the troopers are wearing squadron badges, either on their hats or collars. The noncommisioned officers and the troopers are wearing bandoliers.
Tarata

Re: Queen Alexandra's MR Photo, pre Gallipoli

Postby greg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm

qamrgroup.jpg

Here is the pic!! I cannot provide a sharper picture here but there is written below the feet of the trooper in the front row on the right, Denton Photo. I believe this photo was taken at Awapuni. Note little dog middle front row. See this dog somewhere?
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Tarata » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Greg
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure about Awapuni, as the weather that year was unusually wet (and boggy), but the ground does not appear to be wet where they have dug their boots in.
Could they have taken the dog to Egypt?
Peter
Tarata

Postby andy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Thats a great picture! I would love to get a sharper version of it. How can I do that?
andy

Postby greg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:19 am

Am working on a smaller but more clear pic as the scanned image is 2.3 megs. As for the Denton Photo, F. J Denton was as photographer from the Wanganui area (QAMR area also) at the turn of the 20th centuary. Perhaps this was taken in this region.

Regards
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks Greg, received the photo - will print out names seperately to save jpeg size
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks Greg, received the photo - compressed it quite a bit, stripped out colour and cropped to get the image down to some sort of managable size (396kbs) - hope this displays here all right, otherwise I have posted the image on the updates page.

Once again to see this image full size, in Firefox Browser, right click on image, select "View Image".

Back Row: B. Dean, W. Watt, C. Campion, F. Bailey, M. Beal
Forth Row: Cpl Little, G. Seaton, G. McClean, Cpl Addenbrooke, H.J. James, L.R. Badderley, H. Addenbrooke, ? Burnett, F. Corrie, W.C. Morgan, F. Badderley, W. Bason, J. Moore, H. Thopson, S. Sommerville, T. Wilson, Cpl C. Lynch, C. Rive
Third Row: Tpr D. Ross, LCpl King, Tpr F. Robinson, C. Baldwin, R. Mason, H. Battes, S. Major, R. Gray, Cpl G. Patterson, Buglar Gilmore, Tpr C. Hammond, G. Abercrombie, J. Ansell, J. Lynch, L. Lynch, W. McWilliam, L. Simpson
Second Row: Sgt K. Howie, Sgt Jago, Cpl Burson, Sgt W.E. Morgan, Lt Risk, Lt James, Major Edgar, Major Elmslie, Lt J. Sommerville, Sgt Major Dunham, Sgt Pye-Smith, Cpl P. Fletcher, Tpr W. H. Smith
Front Row: K. McDonald, A. Alcock, R. Blackbourne, Lt W.M. Janson, K. Langlands, S.J. Morgan, L. Fitzmaurice, F. Capon.
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:01 pm

The clarity is greatly improved but I can only see the left side of the photo. How can I see the whole photo?
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Andy
I'm not sure what the procedure is to see the image full screen in other browsers - greg said something about dragging image to the menu bar??

On viewing the photo closer, perhaps there are bits of information that can lead us closer to a date - certainly the photographers name "Fenton" relates to a photographer in Wanganui - this would make the latest the photo was taken as 1914, before departure. Other items that jump out are - only two men wear the "Taranaki" pointed peak on their hats (do we know a date when Malone instigated the creasing of the Infantry taranaki hat?)- and very few men wear QAMR hat badges, although one or two wear them as collar badges - do we have the dog mascots name?

I was a little disapointed to see the lens on this camera was quite distorted - it must have driven Fenton, the photographer, mad - it has been very poorly ground - although the men are sitting in a straight line at right angles to the camera we can see the men to the centre right and rear left are blurred out of focus - what a shame, as I said it would have cost the photographer a small fortune at the time, but obviously the manufacturing technique had much to be desired - never mind, most of his commissions would have been individual or small family groups where the focal length would not have been so critical.
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:49 pm

I can't see where to "drag the image" and actually not sure what he means by that.
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Andy - go to the updates page the image will open adjustable and full size when you click the link :wink:
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm

andy

Postby greg » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Andy,

Click (left mouse button) on the image then without letting go of the button, drag it to a blank spot (grey area of the bottom of your browser or status bar) then let go of the button.

This will work for most photo's unless the function has been disabled by the website.

Good luck!!
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby andy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks Greg,
I managed to print the whole photo in both A4 and A3 size from the "updates" section. However your list of names for the second row of the photo misses out Major Edgar (between Lt James and Major Elmslie) so that everyone to the right of Lt James is wrongly named. In the original photo the names are only just discernable and Edgar is included there. I noticed the omission because I know what uncle Jim looks like. :)

Note from Steve Butler
Thank you - My mistake reading off the original image

Have added "Major Edgar" to his rightful position next to Major Elmslie.
I have corrected the above lists of names here on the Forum and on the Updates Page.
andy

Postby atillathenunns » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:14 am

As a Wellington Regiment fan and hat fanatic, I find the photo most interesting.
In fact I believe the hats are the best clues to identify when the photo was taken.
Note the chap standing second on the left wearing his hat in the Lemon squeezer style.
Also note the hats are all worn with the brim down.
Thirdly the wearing of badges on the front of the hats.
These all point that the photo was most likely taken after the 24th August 1914, and probably prior to the departure of the main body.
Photo IMO is probably taken at Awapuni or while they were in Wellington.
Brent
atillathenunns

Next

Return to NZMR General Discussions