Transport Sergeant William Carter 4th Waikato

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Transport Sergeant William Carter 4th Waikato

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:00 am

Bill's paybook is now available to download in PDF format.
I have made the copy fairly high definition so signatures and light pencil notes may be read.
I would like members comments once they read the paybook and come up with any leads - Lets make Bill's story as comprehensive as possible - what we can glean here I will add to his story to be posted in our Troopers Stories in the near future.
DOWNLOAD BELOW - USE BROADBAND CONNECTION AS FILE 2.3 MEGS.
http://www.nzmr.org/pdf/paybook.pdf
Steve_Butler

Re: Transport Sergeant William Carter 4th Waikato

Postby greg » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Steve,

Seem to have lost track of previous threads relating to subject. Can we move this and related threads to the forum "Research / Troopers?

What I found interesting is the places where pay was issued especially Hill 70. I see Hill 70 on maps, ie Treey's new book, but WHERE is it today? Anyone??

Regards
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi Greg
To be honest I wasn't sure if the "research/Troopers" thread was available to the general public - and as I have just made Bill's paybook available through the "updates Page" I wanted to give the general public the opportunity to join in any discussion that may arise through a thread open to everyone.
Could you check on that for me please - and of course it would be appropriate to transfer the topic to that section.

I am pleased to note that in the first six hours of posting the paybook on the updates page, 23 copies had been downloaded by people coming to the NZMR site.

Yes the reference to Hill 70 is interesting, as we know it was just a huge hill of relatively unmoving sand - however over nearly a century is the hill still there?
I was especially interested in hill 70 on the sporting front, as it was recorded that the Auckland Mounted Rifles played the Scots Infantry in a game of Rugby - one of the first games between nationals of two countries in wartime and only the second game between New Zealanders and Scotsmen in history - (A NZ team had played a Scots team in 1904. (I believe???)
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Have you got a date for that game? I think I remember reading about such a game in my Uncle's diary
andy

Return to NZMR General Discussions