NZMR REINFORCEMENT BADGES

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

NZMR REINFORCEMENT BADGES

Postby pukman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 am

Hello all,I was wondering if there was any interest amongst the members of the NZMR association about NZMR reinforcement badges.I have a small collection as well as images collected from various sources.Maybe a small section on this site which can be devoted to this subject,i.e photos ,questions and querys etc.Look forward to hearing from any one interested.CHEERS, PUKMAN
pukman

Re: NZMR REINFORCEMENT BADGES

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:07 am

Hi Pukman
Welcome to the board - and or course the answer is an uniquiviqual yes to your offer of the images - I already have a page showing the regimental badges and we could add to that, or at least set up a further exrension page from that point.

We can do this a number of ways - you send me the images (hopefully) scanned and I can research the badges (time permitting - OR :)
If you would care to write up how the page should read/and look - then I can insert the copy onto our site with the Associations colours et cetera.
I personally would love you to have a crack!

(Please understand our association would change copy if they felt it was in error - we have a few residential experts - myself not being one of them!
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:48 am

NZMR.jpg
NZMR.jpg (2.59 KiB) Viewed 27418 times

Hello there Steve-Butler,It would be best if i sent you images and then see if you could use them.Images would be of individual reinforcement badges and of individual soldiers wearing mounted rifles badges.I also have a mint picture of a pair of identified soldiers wearing the 6th Southland and 5th Otago Hussars badges that could be used somewhere on this site. Please advise me of best way i can send images.Cheers pukman
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks again Pukman for your offer - the site moves forward best with public help.
If you could send the photos in the highest resolution possible I then can utilise them in various ways, it is a easier job to "cut out" badges when they are scanned in larger sized formats for example 72 dpi becomes very "blocky" and post poorly - a 200 or 300 dpi image is too big to post on site for people on dial-up, but such sized images allow me to work them into our colour backgrounds et cetera, I can then reduce to 72 dpi after the work is done to post on the site - like the 24th reinforcements below (which is the only one I have at this point in time).

I am unaware of how many different badges were produced for the NZMR - but already I see my bade above is quite different to the badge you posted - the heads of the horses seem to be at a different angle - and of course your badge has a large crown above the laurel leaves.

If you would go to the site "menu" and click on the "drop down sub menu bar" titled "the NZMR Association" you will find my address under "E-mail Webmaster" - Please click on that to bring up my home address and attach your photographs there.

(This may sound very strange and complicated instructions - why don't I just post my email here - the answer is that "Spammer" robots are always screening blogs looking for random email addresses to add to their lists - however by making you click on the "E-mail webmaster" button a program activates the website to send you my address to your computer - spam robots don't have that ability to read the site remotely, so by giving you my address in this manner I save myself the nightmare of being blitzed by thousands of spam emails.)
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 pm

55542632.jpg
55542632.jpg (3.1 KiB) Viewed 27298 times

The New Zealand Camel corp badge
pukman

Postby pukman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:52 am

56908713.jpg
56908713.jpg (2.68 KiB) Viewed 27198 times

This is a earlier Mounted rifles reinforcement badge which consisted of a Wellington East Coast mounted rifles badge sweated onto a wreath frame.Often found whith a broach pin on the back,as is mine.
pukman

Postby pukman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:14 am

54848722.jpg
54848722.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 27192 times

This Peagasus Hat badge is from the 29th mounted reinforcements,NZMR.There are two varieties of this badge,this being the low tail , which was worn by reinforcement drafts 25 to 47.The much rarer high tail type was worn by drafts 31 to 47,and was made by a different manufacturer.
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Pukman
I see many days have passed since your last post on the 29th Dec - but I haven't forgotton my promise to create a page for the 'Reinforcement Badges' - it is just this magic summer we are having means that I am spending long hours at work with all the Mad Kiwis wanting to fish the Hauraki Gulf 24/7 - they can't do it, but I am often on the water 13 hours a day.
(I can like now get a few moments to post a comment or read the site while the punter has a beer or two and I can use the boats upload - but I dont have the opportunity to work on the set up trcky bits - but most of the time, by the time I get home I am pretty shattered and only have a few hours kip before it all starts over again - and is it hot out there!!! yesterday with only a two knot northerly at the end of the day the temp sat round the 40 degree C, water like glass and the refraction of sunlight off the ocean - there are some very sunburnt ladies squinting through puffed eyes today.

we will get there= but probably another month yet - please forward any pictures you have managed to take - the last ones were just a tiny bit too much out of focus to work on - it is better to take a larger image file a little bit further away from the subject than get too close - unless you use the "Close up" button - on most digital cameras these days the little icon of a "Flower and stem" running along the viewfinder window needs to be 'checked' to allow the camera to focus close up. - hope this helps.
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Hello Steve,you mentioned three of my favourite words,fishing ,beer and ladies.I will school myself up in digital camera 101 and send more pictures ,i'm afraid it will be trail and error.Please persevere on NZMR reinforcemement badges as it is an integrel part in the study of the NZMR,cheers for now,Iain
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks for the great group of shots Pukman, excellent, I can easily work with these.
Now the next part is to create a page that yourself and other badge collectors will enjoy going to.
Therefore to do this I need expert help from out there! I don't have any of the "Badge collectors" books - and frankly I am out of my depth.
I know about the official badge manufactures of Gaunt & Co but I realize many others were involved in design and manufacture including enterprising Egyptian street artisans - who make the collectors hobby more interesting - but for example:-
Who made this badge?
Are they struck or die cast?
What year?
For which reinforcement?
How many?
Who designed it?
I am sure there are a hundred other questions that budding collectors and history buffs want to understand.
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Hello Steve I am in awe of your digital mastery.The first badge is a real treat.I am currently sending you some reference work from books by Geoffry Lowe, ''New Zealand Reinforcement badges 1914-1918'',and''The Regimental Badges Of New Zealand" by David Corbett.These reinforcement badges were in fact all made in New Zealand by different manufacturers.

Known manufactuers include
Anderson Allen -Auckland
Blacksell-Wellington
Wm.Bock -Wellington
Mayer & Kean
Moller & sons-Dunedin
Robertson-Palmeston North
John Swan & Co-Dunedin
Watts -Auckland
Young & Co -Auckland
G & T Young-Omamaru ,Timaru,Dunedin & Wellinton
The badges have usually have a R.D (registered desgin number) omn them, which matches the manufactuers number.They were die struck.
pukman

Postby pukman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 pm

The NZMR reinforcement badges design types appear from the 14th reinforcements onwards.Specific badges worn by the 14th Mr reinforcements(embarked July 1916),J company 14th MR,17th,19th,23rd and 24th.From The 25th to the 47th reinforcement draft the winged horse or Pegasus(low tail) are commonly worn .A second pattern(different manufacture) Known as the High tail peagasus was also worn from the 31st to the 47th.It has to be noted that all Troopers in the draft did not specifically wear their drafts badges, some wore general issue badges(there are varities,some rarer than others) ,some wore regimental badges,and some even wore volunteer badges,so there was a real mismatch amongst drafts.It has to be noted that these badges were worn while in training camps in New Zealand and on the troopships,but usually discarded ,and replaced with regimental badges when in camp in Egypt and England(Otago Mounted rifles)

I would like to see on your website ,as well as your excellent digitalized pictures of my collection,a couple of period pictures of individuals wearing them.As well as Numbers in each draft and Embarkation dates ,ships etc .which is information i can provide. Cheers for now ,Iain.
pukman

Postby greg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi,

Reinforcements tend to confuse me just a little, I would like to know if, for example, the 1st to the 13th reinforcements contained ALL NZ troops, ie. mounteds, artillery, rifle brigade, infantry, etc?? and the 14th mounteds only? 15th, 16th ?? and so on. Do you have such info at hand? If so, could you post it here?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby pukman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:48 am

Hello Greg,

Up until the 11th Reinforcements,the Mounted Rifles used the general pattern reinforcement badge (i.e the same as the infantry,etc,for example D over a 9 in a fern wreath,Otago 9th reinforcement),with A being the Auckland Squadron,B the wellington squadron,C the Canterbury squadron and D being the Otago squadron.From the 12th reinforcements onwards .,troops were classified as undesignated New Zealand Mounted rifles.In early 1916,after the Gallipoli campaign of course, the Infantry were sent to England(13th infantry reinforcements disembaked Plymouth 29/5/1916) and the Mounteds to Egypt, so were naturally seperated and we see these individual draft badges.I hope this answers your query,cheers Iain
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:10 pm

more information required on this 17th reinforcement badge:
Now I blow him up I see the art work on the die is quite amateurish and out of proportion - however a good design idea to have the horseman sitting inside a stirrup.
Steve_Butler

Next

Return to NZMR General Discussions