Turn of the Century Troopers

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Turn of the Century Troopers

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:02 pm

I would like to try something different in presenting this postcard. I know there is so much untapped information sitting with all the hobbyists, professional and amateur historians that read this website - and with 200,000 hits from visitors arriving each month I will try a winkle out that information and expertise over the coming month to present on our UPDATES PAGE at:
http://www.nzmr.org/updates.htm
Also seen there are two close up enlargements of the troopers themselves.

What do we know: To start; this photograph has been reproduced as a 6 x 4 postcard. It has printed on the back "New Zealand Post Card, (smaller type) This space may be used for communication in N.Z. or British Empire.
The card has not been written on.

Just a few abstract thoughts - That appears to be a young "Cabbage Tree" behind the right hand horse - perhaps Manuka in the background - is this NZ. The uniforms seem darker than most I have seen - different tack on each horse, a metal boss on one - putties - a different multi-banded puggaree - slouch hats - collar badges - what else have I missed?

What dates can we put to this image?
Steve_Butler

Re: Turn of the Century Troopers

Postby hbtoday98 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 pm

1905 Bandolier Mounted rifles type 1 introduced 5th Otago Mounted rifle . The Wallets showing in front of there knees as there is no goods in them the lid is what you can see. They appear to be in parade order with Lee Enfield Short in hand Issued 1905 south inland 1908 north inland.
Cheers Mal
hbtoday98

Re: Turn of the Century Troopers

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 pm

sent by email:
Malcolm from Auckland emails:
Not Boer War bandolier, and collars not WW1 - To my mind these boys look like brothers. Not long tom rifle, short barrel..

John Winter from Nelson emails:
Hi Steve, re the latest photos of the 2 unknown troopers: The one on the left looked very familiar. I believe him to be:
7/273 Trooper Arnold Sparrow, 10th Squadron Canterbury Mounted Rifles. He was from Uruwhenua, Golden Bay. He served with the Main Body with his brother, Sergeant Ralph Sparrow. Arnie later served with the 31st Reinforcements to the NZMR.
See the photo of the Sparrow brothers on p36 of 'Echoes of Gallipoli' and see what you think.
Steve_Butler

Return to NZMR General Discussions