Mystery QAMR photo

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Re: Mystery QAMR photo

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 pm

This photograph could have solved many of the identies of the men - but you can see the reproduction of the photo into the book is not up to scratch - not by a long chalk - frustrating to say the least.
Does anybody know where the originals are?

Taken from the WMR History - Wikie.
Steve_Butler

Postby Bryn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I've been looking at the officer in the top left of the Trentham photo, tentatively identified as Spragg. He looks an awful lot like Major Hastings to me. Hastings embarked as a captain, and this officer also appears to be a captain, the tip of the third star just visible. His medal ribbons are obscured by the hat of Chaplain Grant in front of him. Below is a comparison; the left shot from the Trentham photo and the right from the Auckland Weekly News of 2 Sep 1915.
http://www.anzacs.org/jpeg/hastings.jpg
Last edited by Bryn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn

Postby andy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

Hi Bryn,
Can't see that photo - only a small square with a red cross.
Cheers,
Andy
andy

Postby Bryn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 am

Sorry Andy, I've replaced the image reference with a direct link and tried again below:
hastings.jpg

Regards,
Bryn
Bryn

Postby andy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks, can see it now.
andy

Postby andy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Thought I would re-start this old thread, as I have recently come across a new photo which may be of interest. I think it might have been taken in Egypt, soon after they arrived, or possibly at Trentham before they left. But in any case, on the back of the photo it states: (Sitting:) Hardham (at left) and Maj Elmslie at right and (standing from left:) Joll, James, Risk and Jansen.
Attachments
Jim E + Hardham (sitting) +Joll James Risk & Jansen (RR).jpg
andy

Postby andy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 pm

However I think from previous posts identifying Risk, it should read: (standing from left): Joll, Risk, James and Jansen.
What do you think?
Andy
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Great photo Andy. Yes I believe you have the name order right now. Where did this photo "rise up" from?
I would say taken prior to departure with both sitting officers wearing their hats "slouch" style. Putties also replacing leather leggings by the time the men went into action.
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

G'Day Steve,
Good to see the website is still up and running. I am always searching for photos and other info relating to Major Jim Elmslie. This photo was in an album borrowed from a cousin. I have others too, but am reluctant to show them all, until I have finished my book.
Cheers,
Andy
andy

Postby andy » Sun May 25, 2014 10:40 am

Here is another QAMR group photo thats puzzling. Why are the officers wearing no sleeve insignia? Why are there so few cap badges? Why are Jim Elmslie (bot centre) and another officer wearing black armbands?
andy

Postby andy » Sun May 25, 2014 7:28 pm

I will try again to upload the photo I refer to in the previous post.
Attachments
Waverley soldiers (RR).tif
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed May 28, 2014 11:55 am

Andy, any chance of posting a large format image to my email address (address on the updates page top)
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Fri May 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi Steve,
I have just sent you an enlarged photo (3MB file). I don’t know why the men don’t seem to have badges, or shoulder or sleeve insignia. I note that Jim Elmslie (5th from left at front) and two men to his left both have black armbands (someone may have died?) and one of the soldiers at top left isn’t wearing a proper uniform (recently recruited?) Also it’s a bit unusual I think for soldiers to be carrying their rifles in group photos. I think the photo was taken at the Waverley racecourse and probably about 1912 immediately after the Wairoa Mounted Rifles had been absorbed into the Wellington West Coast Mounted Rifles, but before they have had time to obtain the QAMR badges and rank insignia etc. This might also explain why they are no longer wearing the Wairoa Light Horse uniform and are now wearing Sam Brown belts, cartridge bandoliers and the standard issue WW1 Khaki tunic. I would be interested in any thoughts from you and the other forumites on this.
Cheers,
Andy
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 am

Thaks Andy, I have your photo in hand
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Can you or anyone else comment on my suppositions about this photo? (just guessing really).
andy

PreviousNext

Return to NZMR General Discussions