The Irish Anzac

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Re: The Irish Anzac

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Major John Alexander writes in reference to each numbered photograph in his diary. Attached to number 9 he writes:
Photo taken “Katia” during well sinking operations when Turks drove us back and this Camel carried these two Well Sets 4’ x 4’ x 4’6” for 1 ½ Miles successfully where we sunk it.
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Photo 12 Details.

From the diary of Major J.H. Alexander
Anzac Mounted Division
Sinai Egypt 1916

Details of photo 12.

1. 2 1/2 inch Spear Point
2. Extension Piece and Socket for Spear Point
3. Brass “Double” coupling for attaching Spear Point or Extension to Pump Hose of G.S. (General Service) Pump.
4. Brass “Single” Coupling for attaching Spear Point to Worthington Hose.
5. Two pieces of a special “Driving Cap” for use with Norton Tube Well Driving Gear.
6. Chain-Ring and Steel Levers to take place of Chain Tongs, for screwing Extension Piece to Spear Point.
7. Norton Tube Monkey and Pulley Bar for driving Spear Points with special Driving Cap.
8. 10lb Hammer for use when Norton Tube Set is not available.
9. Special “Spoon” for use with the Special Driving Cap when 10lb Hammer is used.
10. “Right-angle Bend” which is necessary for delivery hose of Worthington Pump, but not supplied with same.
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Hb - Malcolm
I can't be certain at this stage if the pumps were all piston - but this photograph just posted on the ALHSC site which is also following Alexander's history in the Sinai explains a lot.
This image shows a Kiwi and Aus using the G.S. (General Service) pump - it looks like hard yakka - and certainly looks like the men are jigging a dual piston cylinder pump.
Steve_Butler

Postby andy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Those spear-points are still commonly used today to put down shallow bores in porous or soft subsoil so they must be a good idea. I remember reading somewhere that there is still disagreement as to whether they were "invented" by NZ or Aust troopers in the desert. Similar to the Pavlova controversy I suppose. :)
andy

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 am

An interesting excerpt from an appendex page outlying the Royal Engineers Battle Order 1918.
This page sent via Ken Gillings in South Africa from his contact with Lieutenant Colonel Mike McCabe - Royal Engineers.

This information shows that by 1918 John Alexander is no longer involved with the Anzac Mounted Division or Chaytor Force.
Or does it?
Names are missing directley opposite these units - could Alexander still be the O.C. here?
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:59 pm

This range of photos compressed to be entered into Alexander's page that is being presented by our Association - when listed web surfers will be able to roll over the image and select individual photos to be enlarged
As I am running out of time before my annual break, I thought I would give Forum members a look at Alexander's photos (at a distance) of his tack and engineering developments.
note: all these images courtesy the Australian War Memorial Museum data base.
Steve_Butler

Postby David_Porter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Steve,

The Order of Battle would indicate that Alexander was now with the 5th Cavalry Division.
They ended up in Aleppo and this would tie in with him becoming Military Director of the Baghdad Railway.
Researching anything to do with Somerset Royal Horse Artillery
David_Porter

Postby Steve_Butler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Major Alexander of the Anzac Engineers makes note on this eleventh photo in a series photographed in the Sinai Desert (circa1916):

11. Horse carrying G.S. Pump and set of through standards.

Below: A detail drawing to upgrade harness fittings to improve the ability for the Machine Gunners to transport their heavy weapons on the backs of their horses.

Steve_Butler

Postby hbtoday98 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 pm

hbtoday98

Postby hbtoday98 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:12 am

One item in the New Zealand Army Museum it is in the trench setup in the WW1 section (GS PUMP)
Attachments
DSCN3679.JPG
hbtoday98

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Belatedly I know - but after some months - more additions of Alexander's photos now updated on the page at:
http://www.nzmr.org/Alexander_John.html
Steve_Butler

Postby hbtoday98 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Steve_Butler wrote:Hb - Malcolm
I can't be certain at this stage if the pumps were all piston - but this photograph just posted on the ALHSC site which is also following Alexander's history in the Sinai explains a lot.
This image shows a Kiwi and Aus using the G.S. (General Service) pump - it looks like hard yakka - and certainly looks like the men are jigging a dual piston cylinder pump.

The knives in this photo were so big I thought I like one after a year of trademe I thought I will get one made the orders went out and then this turn up used in ww1 and in mounteds ww2 .
Attachments
knife2.jpg
knife1.jpg
knife.jpg
hbtoday98

Previous

Return to NZMR General Discussions