QAMR "Lemon Squeezers"

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Re: QAMR "Lemon Squeezers"

Postby Steve_Butler » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Good work Brent - thanks - I am sure Peter will take that onboard as he is following up on all the leads relating to Paterson(& Webster).
Interesting that a G. Paterson is also listed - certainly has to be a relation with that spelling?

Postby atillathenunns » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 pm

I have to say the photograph is a joy to see. I spent time a while back looking for such a photograph.
The 24th August was when the Wellington Regiment adopted the Lemon squeezer style.

Postby andy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:07 pm

G'Day Mate,
I think the W. Richetts you refer to is actually W. (Bill) Ricketts, as he is mentioned in the war diary of my uncle Ewen Elmslie (DOW Maghdaba Jan 1917). Also mentioned are Edwin Howie, Alan "Molly" Morgan (KIA 22nd Dec 1916) and a Lieutenant Allison, all in the WMR. The Howie family were farming around Waverley where a lot of the QAMR came from and he could be a brother to the K.Howie you mention. If the photo was taken in late 1914 the D.McDonald you mention might be the one KIA at Gallipoli about 29th May 1915 also from Waverley and a 1st cousin to Major Jim Elmslie.

Return to NZMR General Discussions