NZMR REINFORCEMENT BADGES

This is a Public Discussion Forum and is open to everyone. Subject matter should be confined to Mounted Rifles.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Re: NZMR REINFORCEMENT BADGES

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 am

From Pukman's files - a nice little talking point with the hat badges - thanks Iain - here it is at last!

Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks Steve,
Photo courtesy of Colin Brown,Invercargill who has a vast collection of NZ militaria and is interested in the NZMR.

This unidentified trooper wears an interesting mix of badges.The D9 hatbadge of course stands for 9th MR reinforcement D(Otago) company.The trooper also wears the rampant horse collars ,and one as a hat badge as well.Note the shoulder title .The straight NZMR is usaully associated with the volunteer/Boer war period,but of course this is a WW1 trooper.An interesting mix of badges.
Last edited by pukman on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

I would like to add that I saw the straight shoulder title but also this man is stiil wearing the "older" pattern bandolier as well? - when were the bandoliers upgraded, or rather which reinforcements began taking the "later" style bandolier overseas?
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Barry O'Sullivan's fine publication''New Zealand Army,Personal Equipment 1910-1945'',states that the type 2 bandolier with the scalloped pouch flaps,was introduced circa 1916.We know that the 9th reinforcements sailed on the 8/1/1916,so obviously the NZMR troopers were still wearing the type 1 bandoliers ,rounded flaps at that point in time.
pukman

Postby byrd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:45 pm

Hello all,
My grandfather was in the 12th reinforcements and I have a photo of him wearing the later style banolier. I'm guessing the photo was taken late 1915 or early 1916. Byrd
byrd

Postby Jonsig » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:54 pm

It appears the 1st pattern was never made obserleat during WW1. It was still the most common worn even into the 1930s
Jonsig

Postby pukman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 am

101148010_full.jpg

Here is another Mounted rifle reinforcements variation.All the reference books refer to this one as XIV (14th reinforcement) J company.
Last edited by pukman on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 pm

now appearing on our reinforcements badge page at:
http://www.nzmr.org/badges2.htm

I would like to add copy to these badges so that visitors can learn a little more - Now Iain! - how about it?
Steve_Butler

Postby pukman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Steve,once again a brilliant makeover.I dare say you would have to stick with the reference books ''J Company,14th reinforcements'' for the text.

thanks Iain D
pukman

Postby pukman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:33 pm

David Corbett has a concise summary of Mounted Rifles reinforcement badges;

"The Most common type is that of a winged horse(low tail peagasus) in brass,wing in white metal above a scroll 'N.Z Mounted Rilfes'.All the badges were pressed as 25 and have a disc cover which alters the numeral from 26 through 47.The collar badges are smaller versions of the cap badge with a disc 'N.Z' or a numeral of the reinforcement.The 40th to the 43rd Mounted Rifle Brigade reinforcements sailed from New Zealand on the 10th of October 1918 and were last to proceed overseas while the 44th to 47th were still in training when the war ended.A second pattern badge (High tail Peagasus) was introduced with the 31st Reinforcements and has a numeral disc placed over a stamped 31 through to the 47th reinforcements.Specific badges were worn by the 14th MR reinforcements,J Company 14th MR,17th,19th,23rd and 24th reinforcements.The 24th badge was struck as the 23rd but had a numeral covered with a disc '24'.The badges most often found consist of a rampant horse above a scroll 'N.Z.M.R' or 'N.Z Mounted Rifles' sweated on to a wreath of fern leaves.The other common pattern was the badge of the 9th Wellington East Coast Mounted Rifles but with the scroll bearing the words 'N,Z Mounted rifles' or the letters 'N.Z.M.R' ''(While the specific badges were worn by the various reinforcements,not all members of that specific reinforcement wore their reinforcement badges.Some members wore Corp,Regimental or non-specific Mounted Rifle reinforcement badges)

I have added my piece in brackets,the last statement to point out the fact that specific reinforcement badges were not worn universally within a draft.So Steve if you wish to add this , or have your take on the matter ,i would think it would greatly add to the fine illustrations that you allready have on your ''Reinforcement badge '' page

Cheers Pukman
pukman

Postby pukman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 pm

NZMR 1.jpg
NZMR 3.jpg
NZMR 4.jpg

Heres a series of New Zealand Mounted Rifles troopers and N.C.O's wearing NZMR reinforcements badges.This gives an insight into which reinforcement drafts wear which badges, as well as providing photographic evidence.I hope you enjoy.

Fowler, 36th MR reinforcements ''High tail peagasus variety''.Cap and collar bages.
Watt, 33rd MR reinforcements,''Low tail peagasus ''.Cap and collars.
Gibson.23rd MR reinforcement, ''double horse head'' collars.
Last edited by pukman on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pukman

Postby pukman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:09 pm

NZMR 5.jpg
NZMR 6.jpg
NZMR 7.jpg

Crawford,13th NZMR reinforcements''Rampant horse over ''NZMR'' in Crowned reinforcement frame,Left facing variety.Collars, General pattern,13 in a crowned fern wreath.

Ledingham,15th NZMR reinforcements''Rampant horse over'' FORTES FORTUNA JUVAT'' in fern frame.Left facing variety.

Davison,15th NZMR reinforcements''Rampant horse over''NZMR'' inCrowned reinforcement frame.More common right facing variety.Collars ,Rampant horses ,left and right facing.
pukman

Postby pukman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:40 pm

NZMR 9.jpg
NZMR 10.jpg

McCarthy,12th MR reinforcements,''Rampant horse over NZMR,in crowned reinforcement frame''

Tucker,25th MR reinforcements,Low tail peagasus variety.
pukman

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the great work Iain :)
Steve_Butler

Postby Shell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the Manawatu Mounted Rifles. I found a badge attached to what appears to be a piece of martingale. I believe it may have belonged to a family that previously owned the property. I have not been able to find any pictures.

Thanks, Shell
Shell

PreviousNext

Return to NZMR General Discussions