UK vs NZ 1902 Pattern Service Dress

UK vs NZ 1902 Pattern Service Dress

Postby tarkers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 am

Hi,
New to this forum and have a growing interest in the NZMR.
My intention is to assemble enough equipment (uniform, field equipment and tack) to add the NZMR to the displays that I am involved with here in the UK where I focus on the horse soldier in WW1 - currently Warwickshire Yeomanry, 12th Lancers, ALH and as I say intending to add NZMR.

Reading through the uniform section of the main site I note it mentions the NZ pattern 1902 Service Dress. Does anyone have a list of the variations that distinguish an NZ and UK tunic?

Looking at the pictures it is hard to make out if the NZ pattern had the rifle patches on the upper chest or not.

Is there a definitive book on the uniforms of the NZMR out there?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Greg
tarkers

Re: UK vs NZ 1902 Pattern Service Dress

Postby atillathenunns » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Is there a definitive book on the uniforms of the NZMR out there?
The only real definitive book on NZ uniforms is "New Zealand Army Uniforms and Clothing 1910 - 1945" (Published 2009 and currently available on Ebay and Trade-me)

Reading through the uniform section of the main site I note it mentions the NZ pattern 1902 Service Dress. Does anyone have a list of the variations that distinguish an NZ and UK tunic?
The variations are included in the book mentioned above.

Looking at the pictures it is hard to make out if the NZ pattern had the rifle patches on the upper chest or not.
Yes, they did have rifle patches.
The first 1902 pattern Service Dress issued to kiwis were British made. (Issued to NZers retuning from the Boer war)
There is a well-known photo of the Klee brothers somewhere of this forum. (All of which served with the 7th Contingent)
Besides the badges and hats, I find the uniforms are of particular interest.
Louis Klee (No. 26 Company) seated on the right, looks like he is wearing a khaki drill tunic.
Victor Klee (No. 26 Company) standing in the middle, looks like he is wearing a khaki woollen tunic
George Klee (No. 23 Company) seated on the left, looks like he is wearing a Pattern 1902 tunic.

Drop me a PM if your interested in the finer details of NZ uniform and insignia.
Brent
atillathenunns

Return to The Quartermaster's Store