NZMR Reproduction Uniforms

NZMR Reproduction Uniforms

Postby anzac21 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

G'Day all,

im new to this forum and also to the world of NZMR. im a kiwi living abroad in the USA, im from the auckland/Henderson area (Hobsonville specifically). And i have always been keen on New Zealand military history. my grandad was a spitfire pilot in WW2 and my great grandfather, stanley Garlick was a stretcher Bearer in WW1. while i do not believe he was with the NZMR, he was at gallipoli and in france, and regardless i have always had a special place in my heart for the troopers and the horses. Which leads me to why im posting today.

I have been on the prowl for where i can get repro NZMR uniforms and i have found a chap in Kranpur India by the name of Sanjay Suri who has a factory of some sort and turns out all sorts of repro uniforms. He does a lot of Light Horse stuff, not really any NZMR or kiwi, but i sent him a lot of photos of the uniforms and gear and he has since replied that he can recreate the uniforms. Now, while im happy that there is someone out there willing to do this, i am also wary of being fleeced. so i wonder if any of you know a reliable source for reproduction NZMR uniforms specifically. i already read through the posts from ETHOS, and i would much rather get all my leather work from you guys than from india, but is there a kiwi group that does the uniforms and hats reliably? I will enclose his web site for reference. hopefully some of you have had dealings with him, as his capabilities appear to be extensive. and also i will put in the quotes he gave me for The full NZMR kit which he is capable of reproducing.

http://www.replicaters.com/AIFuniforms.html

Quotes are as follows:
Jacket - US$ 119.00/pc
Breeches - US$ 83.00/pr
Puttees - US$ 16.00/pr
Ammunition belt- US$ 137.00/pc
Leather waist belt - US$ 146.00/pc
Chevrons - US$ 5.00/pc
Embroidered Arm Patch - US$ 7.00/pc
Boots - US$ 137.00/pr. Spurs are not available.
Embroidered Shoulder Title - US$ 8.00/pr
Embroidered Auckland 3rd Mounted Rifles badge - US$ 9.00/pr
Total i s US$ 667.00 delivered.

well, please help me out as much as you can. i really want to get a great impression together so that i can participate with you lot for ANZAC day tributes and rides or whatever, i love that kind of thing.

thanks heaps

HM Palmer
anzac21

Re: NZMR Reproduction Uniforms

Postby Jonsig » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi HM

Welcome to the Forum
Not sure about that company I have heard a few stories about some Indian companies not being very good. with quality and sending the items.
You should be able to pick up the correct Brass badges and titles on the internet ebay if you keep your eye out or the dealers here in N.Z.

You just need an O2 pattern tunic, British made pattern is fine, I think phil in CHCH would be able to make you one but I am sure you could pick a 22 pattern tunic or repro quite easily.
Phil S in Ch CH makes the Puggarees, he may be able to help you with a felt hat, but any felt hat as long as it looks right can be shaped t the correct shape for Reenactment.
As for boots as long as they look right pattern any maker is fine.

The price they quoted in not to bad just what the quality is like and if it makes it to you.
I will ask around if anyone has heard of that company and had problems with them hold off for a while until you no they are worth the money.

Here are few comments from ppl on the Great war Forum
They sound like they are not worth the hassel

However, I would not recommend them personally - the pictures on the Replicators site are nicked from off the web,

Dean1... I will backup what 'Greg' has mentioned. Be very aware! Below, I have given one such firm to be very wary off...
http://www.replicaters.com/ww1britisharmy.htm

Several of my reenactor friends who do various period impressions, have ordered from this firm. That have quite a glowing website as you'll see, but its a shame they cannot back it up with customer service, quality, honouring order dates. etc; etc;.

I ordered a uniform from the India based http://www.Replicaters.com, A British WW1 Officers uniform to be exact, I sent along pictures from the series Blackadder to aid the man, Sanjay, who assured me he could custom make the uniform in any color I desired.
Upon arrival (late) I discovered a uniform that could have been made by a child. The wrong materials were used, the shirt and pants were the wrong color, the "boots" I ordered were too short (italian styled instead of riding) and the Sam Brownw was the wrong colored leather then what I requested.
The jacket lacked any insignia that I requested and he assured could be supplied and the button were solid and smooth pieces of brass.
The hat was left out altogether.
When told about his horrible service, Sanjays constant reply was "You didn't request our 1917 patterned uniform, you wanted what Mr. Bean wore."
Anyone who views Blackadder knows its a close fit to any issued uniform save color and maybe insignia.
Sanjay refused a refund or even to replace my uniform with his supposed "right" 1917 advertised one.
No one who values their money should order from this supplier, as for myself I'm out a significant amount of money.

Regards Jonathan
Jonsig

Postby anzac21 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks Jonathan,

The chap you mentioned dealing with is the very same one i was looking at buying from. well forewarned is forearmed. so i will not be buying from him in the near future. I am a big believer in doing something right, so i am anxious to begin aquiring uniform pieces and gear that are not just close, but absolutely authentic, within reason. I have seen too many chaps show up to reenactment things in horribly farb gear and it shows. i feel that the men we try to represent deserve the very best. so thanks for your help. As soon as i hear about prices from Donna, i will look at purchasing the NZ pattern bandolier and belt. Also, i am very keen on getting the NZ made pugaree and felt hat, any further contact info on whoever does this would be greatly appreciated, i wear a 7 1/2 so, a bit larger of a size, ive seen a few of the newer nzmr hats on ebay and whatnot, but they are always more like a 7. Well, i wont be back in NZ for at least another 2 years or so, but i do want to get involved as much as possible from this side of the pacific, and certainly this is an ideal time to begin building the impression.

sincerely

HM Palmer

PS jonathan, do you have any more detailed contact info for phil CHCH? is he a chap on the site? i would like to start picking up items bit by bit soon
anzac21

Postby sundown » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:08 am

Hi HM
I have a contact for Puggerees made here in NZ - have viewed them and they are very good. I was in the process of arranging having Tunics etc made here but my Husband's health has taken a turn for the worse so I have been otherwise occupied. If you would like to email me at empiretroop@actrix.co.nz I can send you details of the Puggaree and a price list of the ETHOS range.
Regards
Donna
sundown

Postby Jonsig » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi HM

I will get Phil .S email for you, he made the puggarees for the NZMR troopers you have seen around, at events I have known him for many years and can vouch for his quality, He also makes uniforms so he may be able to help you out, he also had a stock of felt hats made.
I will pm his email address to you as soon as I get it.
This may be the same person Donna is referring to?
Jonathan
Jonsig

Postby anzac21 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Dear Donna and also Phil

Donna, i sent you an email, im hoping you recieved it. if not, im not sure why. At any rate, im looking forward with anticipation to your reply. I was reading up again just now on the equipment and i cant wait to have my own. christmas might come early this year i guess...

and phil, thanks mate, hopefully i can get a tunic and hat rolling. all the help is much appreciated.

cheers

HM Palmer
anzac21

Postby Lance Stifle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 pm

My first post,
a great website...good onya the NZ's!

Stay right away from the indian company "Replicators" and the head honcho Sanjay Suri, he's very polite but shifty.
A few of us over here in Oz have ordered items from them recently and have been dissapointed. when we sent an email outlining a list of deficiencies (little to no resemblance to what was featured on the website) he never even bothered to reply.

LS
Lance Stifle

Postby Callum Forbes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks for the review. I am currently working on assembling my own personal NZMR uniform so any recommendations as to where and from who I can order good quality and historically accurate clothing and other personal equipment from is very helpful.
----------------------------
www.jousting.co.nz (one of my hobbies)
www.hapkido.co.nz (another of my hobbies)
www.invest.co.nz (my business)

View my recent activities on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1290562306)
Callum Forbes

Postby anzac21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Hey All,

I posted earlier on the site about uniforms etc, while i was over in america. i am now back in new zealand and keen to get more involved with nzmr stuff. I dont know if donna (sundown i think) is still doing the leather bits etc and if theres a guy (phil maybe) that does uniforms but i have an itching desire to get into wool and khaki, so im hoping there are some resources out there to flesh out my nzmr impression. i have a fair amount of ww2 british, canadian, kiwi, ive aquired 3 or 4 ww1 american uniforms, along with the riding style trousers which may be close, but none of that really comes up close enough to the real item. so any help from the moderators or readers would be appreciated. im located in Hosonville, West Auckland, so if anyone is local that helps. i will be traveling a fair amount around the country as well though.

cheers

Hyrum M Palmer
anzac21

Postby sundown » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello Hyrum
Yes, I am still making and repairing NZMR leather goods as required. Good to hear that you are now back in NZ.
Cheers
Donna
sundown

Postby anzac21 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:38 am

Hi Donna,

its good to hear that you are still around and i would love to get the bandoliers from you. I know there are two patterns, so what would the recomendation be?

Hyrum
anzac21

Postby coastie » Thu May 12, 2011 7:46 am

Just a thought. There is a business trading as Blacks Belts. They make belts etc. I have used them once in the past for another aspect of my military hx life (K.T's).
My expertise is based on my serving an apprenticeship in the footwear trade all those years ago (1960's)
You can purchase a natural coloured belt and dye it your self with a spirit based dye. Warning it stains the skin beautifully as well.
As for the furniture on the belt/s you would need to know exactly what and where that goes. Army pattern ammo pouches would be a doddle to knock up. I am NOT volunteering here .
Anyway give them a try. Google them and go for it.
Coastie
coastie

Return to The Quartermaster's Store