New Material

Lieutenant Colonel McCarroll suceeded Mackesy in command of the Auckland Mounted Rifles after commanding the 11th N.A.M.R. - Diary begins 1914 with Main Body departure.

New Material

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:22 pm

Today has been a pleasant step forward in finding out more on James McCarroll. Today I was invited to meet his granddaughter, Heather Hamilton, who as luck would have it only lives on the other side of the city in St Johns.

She had told me how pleased she was to see her grandfathers diaries that the Association has posted on the internet, and said she had a number of items I may well be interested in stored at her home. As you may have guessed I was on my way before she had hung up.

It was wonderful to meet Heather and then to be able to rummage through a "brief case" full of goodies including all the Colonel's medals, photograhs and loose papers (I see here too many references to the Freemasons and printed material relating to the meeting held at the Omar Mosque in Jerusalem) - however the find was two additional diaries (as seen above) that I hope will be able to fill in a few vacant spots in the Colonel's involvement in Gallipoli and the Middle East.

I will keep you up to date as I fill in the blank spots in the diaries - and attention Gal! more information to come re: Ayun Kara and Beersheba by the looks of things.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Great work Steve. Look forward to all the goodies. Please pass on the Associations thanks to Heather Hamilton.
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:21 am

Only the one photgraph in the pack (however other images from news clippings, but poor resolution).
Jonsig will be interested in the direction of the Hat Badge :wink:

Steve_Butler

Re: New Material

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Since receiving the original documents from Heather Hamilton I have now updated the "McCarroll Diaries" posted at:
http://www.nzmr.org/mccarroll1.htm
This first section had been very difficut to read from the photocopy I had been working on, if you recall the settings on the copies were too light. Well, with the originals in hand I have been able to correct ALL problem areas and the Diary is complete up to the final page - where I have still to go to the Kauri Museum to get this final file.
So until that time the diary is updated including three extra pages that I was unable to read first time through.
I will post a complete PDF printable document for download shortly.
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Follow up story released in the "Harbour News" today. Similar articles have appeared in the Rodney Times, Manukau Courier, Western Leader and I believe other papers will run the story next week.

Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks Steve for keeping us posted. You are doing great work. Please can you keep copies of the newspapers concerned for file records.

Regards

Greg
G.I. Bradley
greg

Return to McCarroll's Diary