A NEW DEVELOPMENT FOR THE NZMR WEBPAGES

Check here to see latest Changes to the NZMR Website.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

A NEW DEVELOPMENT FOR THE NZMR WEBPAGES

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:55 am

This has been something I have been working on when time permits - a singular selection downloadable photo album.
We can now move forward with other projects sitting on the back burner = NAMELY Gal's wonderful photographs of the NZMR gravesites in Israel and Waynes full-on images from Malta.
Up till now: the pages and pages of HTML that the visitor would have to go through has been eliminated
What has happened is that by using PHP computer language we can download individual images to a page without downloading a full folder - which is I am sure you understand a cost factor when it comes to Bandwidth. However with this format the image sizes are greatly reduced - this full folder of Stan's is under 3 megs in size - if I had done it HTML via pages the folder would have been over 20 megs.
Here is the first project from Stanley Burrowes collection:

http://www.nzmr.org/burrowes.html
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:38 pm

Eventually all photograph collections will begin on the "Gallery Page"
Burrowes album also at:
http://www.nzmr.org/gallery.htm
albums added as I bring across from Greg and new albums also made.
new page created.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi Steve,

Great Album, however when the album opens in a new window and when I try to exit it hangs IE. When I view it through the Newsletter page it will also hang unless I press the STOP Button. May I suggest 1. Do not open in new window. 2. some wording like "Please ensure that you press the STOP Button before exiting." I seem to lock up the system temporarily if I do not do this!
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi Greg
It may be time to give your IE Browser a birthday 8O

I have tested the site including this recent page with the albums opening in a new window and they all work to the present specs - and work well, no hanging on "Internet Explorer"

The most recent updates for Microsoft can be downloaded at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6 ... fault.mspx

Please keep me updated if you still have problems - Please.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Steve,

Am using ie7. All the same can we have it in the exisiting window as no other links currently open in new window. Is there any special reason that it opens in new window?

Regards

Greg
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 pm

I have tested with IE7, 6, 5 with updates. Mozillia Firefox, Netscape 7.2, 6. none appear to hang on my two machines - is anybody else experiencing problems please.

The reason to open each album in a seperate window is because the border with the menu bar needs to be available for the punter to move on - however if all the albums appear one below the other there will be a large run on download data for possibly albums that the punter dosen't want to go to - besides if each album is positioned one below the other the page besides being big in data will extend a long way down a page - equivilent to many pages.

By making the page seperate whether by opening in a new window or clicking to go to another window is the same thing virtually - but by opening in a new window the punter has to come back to the album page to move around on in the site - and he will more likely stay to view another album (when they are posted)

Also in the future web advertising revenue is gained by how long a punter stays on your site - if a viewer is on two pages (one opened on top of the other) the punter is logged as being on your site twice as long (If you go to many "clip-art" sites or "free download" sites you will find you may have to open five six or seven 'pages in window'. Each one holding adds and being pad for while you browse.)

Or is it because the page is smaller than you would like - I can open it up to full size within the program?

regards Steve
no problem to dump it for new seperate pages -your call.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Steve,

If no one else has the problem then leave it as it is. Will look into why it hangs for me. Now that you mention it the pictures could be a little larger. :lol:
G.I. Bradley
greg

Return to NZMR Website Updates