newsletter page updates

Check here to see latest Changes to the NZMR Website.

Moderators: greg, Steve_Butler

Re: newsletter page updates

Postby Steve_Butler » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Further "finds" at the Kauri Museum last week :D

Survivor from the South African War 1899 -1902.
Still in remarkable condition for its age, this Boer War saddle made the return journey
back to New Zealand with its owner, "Rough Rider" and army despatch
rider, trooper Ben Birt. The saddle is currently on loan from descendant Rex Birt of
Matakohe and displayed at the Kauri Museum, Northland.

now posted on the Saddles page.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi Steve,

Somehow I do not think that the UP1902 pattern saddle was issued to troopers in the Boer War! I cound be wrong. Correct me if so. Most Troopers of the Bore war period had to supply their own tack at least in the early contingents. The up1890 pattern saddle would in my opinion be more likely, however the picture does no show enough to say that this is not a 1899 pattern but I am sure it is a 1902 pattern that is shown.

Regards
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:00 pm

That could be an interesting observation - you know me!! have a very limited knowledge of tack - I photographed the saddle while at the museum last week, but fortunately (I thought) I took the label placed with it:

However the museum may be unaware - or the owner misunderstood the era of the saddle - or both. Perhaps we could compare another SA Saddle of the period and instruct the owner what we have deduced?
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks for the input Nigel - here is your granddad's page at:

http://www.nzmr.org/kemp.htm
Steve_Butler

Postby Steve_Butler » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:54 pm

The NZMR uploads have to wait:
Life is like that - everything humming along nicely and next thing you are dumb enough to cartwheel over the gunnell onto the boat deck and break the bones in your wrist.
Besides being off work now for a number of weeks - I am struggling trying to type for the website and have been told to take it easy.

That's easy - buy a good book and enjoy the weather and a snooze - Mounted Rifles projects will be a little slower in the next week or two until the cast comes off.

NZMR member Terry Kinloch has recently had published his entertaining read on the life of the mounted soldiers of New Zealand during the desert campaigns of WWI - titled "Devils on Horses" now available to be shipped from Whitcoulls - Highly Recommended.
Last edited by Steve_Butler on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi Steve,

So sorry to hear of your mishap and I hope you are not in any pain. :( However by the look of the picture you are doing ok. 8) Are you left handed :?: You still have one good arm!! :D

Best wishes
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am

unfortunately left handed to boot!
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi Steve,

These update pages are really great but I see we do not have an achieve of the ones that "drop off". Can we have them achieved for future use??
G.I. Bradley
greg

Postby Steve_Butler » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:06 pm

Greg I have corrected that :D

I have kept the updates pages back as a reference point for myself only - but I agree you and others probably want to revisit some items - so the pages have been archived and may be linked through the updates page on the sidebar running down the page left.

I haven't actually been deleting items as they come to the drop-off point on the page - at that time I post the item on a page relating to the subject somewhere on the site - the wording may change slightly - but no photos depart the system once they have been uploaded.
Steve_Butler

Postby greg » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks Steve,

Great job. I think these bits and pieces anre invaluable!!

Regards
G.I. Bradley
greg

Previous

Return to NZMR Website Updates