Here are a few facts of historical interest:—
Formed: 4th November, 1864—named
17th December, 1864—renamed Otago Light Horse.
During ‘Eighties, 5th Otago Hussars (about 1885).
14th September, 1900—Otago Mounted Rifles.
1st October, 1901—two Battalions were gazetted: No. 1 Battalion
Otago Mounted Rifles.
13th September, 1906—renamed 1st and 2nd Regiments, Otago
On 17th March, 1911 (compulsory military training came into
force) — the O.M.R. Brigade was formed — the 1st Regiment renamed 5th N.Z.
(Otago Hussars, Dunedin), 2nd Regiment (7th Southland, Invercargill), and
a newly formed Regiment called 12th (South Otago)
THE GREAT WAR, 1914-18:
Sailed in 1914 as a Regiment and fought as a Regiment on
Gallipoli and later maintained a Squadron in France (Corps.
Our Allied Regiment until 1923 was “King Edward’s Horse” (the King’s Overseas
the Army List of 1927 the title appears as The Otago Mounted Rifles.
1 9 3 7: The 3rd Composite Mounted
Rifles Regiment was formed. (O.M.R.—one Squadron horsed).
1 9 3 9: Returned to full Regimental strength (outbreak of Second World
21st November, 1941 (9/278/G) 7th Light A.F.V., Regiment (O.M.R.)—this was an
error, and December, 1941, Gazette corrected it to 5th Light A.F.V. Regiment (O.M.R.).
1 9 4 2: Otago Mounted Rifles Regiment (Armoured).
1 9 4 5: 3rd Armoured Regiment (O.M.R.—one Squadron).
The Guidon was presented to the Regiment by His Excellency the
Governor-General, Viscount Golway, on 19th March, 1939, at Wingatui Camp.
The Regimental Guidon was lodged for safe keeping in The First Church of
Otago, when not in Regimental use, on 4th June, 1939, at the morning service.
The Regiment has 24 Battle Honours-—11 of which are emblazoned on the Guidon:
South Africa and 10 of Great War (1914-18).
General Sir Alexander J. Godley, G.C.B. K.C.M.G., p.s.c.
Lieutenant-Colonel J. Cowie Nichols, C.B.E., V.D., J.P.
1914 —Lieutenant-Colonel A. W. Bauchop.
1915-16—Lieutenant-Colonel R. R. Grigor, D.S.O.
1916-19—Major G. R. Mitchell, D.S.O., V.D.
1923-27—Lieutenant-Colonel G. R. Mitchell, D.S.O., V.D.
1927 —Major F. Waite, D.S.O.
1930-35—Lieutenant-Colonel A. Holland.
1935-37—Lieutenant-Colonel A. S. Bruce Smith, ED.
1937-41—Lieutenant-Colonel 0. L. Ferens, E.D., J.P.
1942 —Lieutenant-Colonel E. I. Anderson, M.C.
1942-43—Lieutenant-Colonel W. R. Pigou.
1922 —Captain F. L. Hunt, N.Z.S.C.
1924 —Captain M. E. Johnson, M.C., N.Z.S.C.
1925 —Captain F. L. Hunt, N.Z.S.C.
1926-27—Captain S. M. Satterthwaite, N.Z.S.C.
1928 —Lieutenant I. R. Withell, R.N.Z.A.
—Lieutenant C. Shuttleworth, N.Z.S.C.
1932 —Lieutenant A. H. L. Sugden, N.Z.S.C.
1934 —Captain M. E. Johnson, M.C., N.Z.S.C.
1938 —Lieutenant F. L. H. Davis, N.Z.S.C.
1939 —Captain J. E. Green (Temporary Staff).
1941 —Lieutenant R. E. Johnston, N.Z.S.C. Lieutenant H. H. Brook, Asst.
1941-42—Captain W. H. McLenaghin, RN.
MEDICAL OFFICERS ATTACHED:
1925 —Captain J. E. K. Brown, MB., N.Z.M.C.
1926-29—Captain R. G. S. Orbell, M.C., M.D., N.Z.M.C.
1932 —Lieutenant E. B. Watson, M.B., N.Z.M.C.
1938-42—Major R. G. S. Orbell, M.C., E.D., M.D., N.Z.M.C.
1942-43—Lieutenant J. Duthie, N.Z.M. C.
1923 —Hon. Lieutenant H. C. A. Fox.
1926-34—Hon. Lieutenant G. M. Whale.
1938 —Hon. Lieutenant L. B. Borrow.
Lieutenant-Colonel A. Gray, C.F., ED.
Lieutenant-Colonel T. A. Pybus, C.F., VT
Captain C. M. Sullivan, CF.
Contain T. M. C. Hay, C.F.
1924 —Hon. Captain G. J. R. Dormer.
1926-39—Ma W. Conrior, ED., J.P.
1 940-43—Lieutenant Alfred Walmsley.
VETERINARY OFFICERS ATTACHED:
1924-26—Captain J. Danskin, M.R.C.V.S. (Eng.), N.Z.N.C.
1927-29—Lieutenant P. McGregor, M.R.C.V.S., N.ZN.C.
1932 —Lieutenant C. Weighton, M.R.C.V.S., N.Z.N.C.
1938-41—Major W. Peirson, M.R.C.V.S., B.Sc., N.Z.N.C.
Lieutenant G. McDonald and Lieutenant A. B. Taylor were attached dur ing March
and April, 1941
1924—W.0.l W. R. Whyte, N.Z.P.S.
To 1939—W.0.l W. H. McLenaghin, N.Z.P.S. R.Q
1939—S.S.M. J. H. Fitzgerald, N.Z.P.S.
S.S.M. W. B. Taverndale, N.Z.T.S.
3rd N.Z. MOUNTED RIFLES BRIGADE COMMANDERS:
1911 —Colonel J. Cowie Nichols, C.B.E., V.D., J.P.
—Colonel H. C. Hurst, D.S.0., V.D., A.D.C.
—Colonel G. R. Mitchell, D.S.0., V.D.
—Colonel L. Chaytor, M.C.
In all humility, we remember those gallant comrades who in the service of
their country paid the Supreme Sacrifice
We present these meagre records with the hope that an able pen will place on
record for all time the History of the Regiment
0. L. FERENS
E. J. ANDERSON
Trustees of the Otago
Mounted Rifles Regiment.
22nd April, 1949.